Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Healthy Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe made with no cream or flour but still SO creamy. Set-and-forget in a slow cooker or cook on a stovetop, either way this soup is TO DIE FOR!
Author: Olena of ifoodreal.com
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1.5 lbs any chicken pieces*
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms or 1 cup fresh, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 6 cups water or chicken broth**
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Slow Cooker: In a large slow cooker, add chicken (I use pheasant), onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, water, thyme, salt, and pepper; cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 5-6 hours.
- Cook wild rice on the stovetop.
- Remove chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks. To slow cooker, add milk, mustard and garlic powder; using an immersion blender give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness (don’t forget to stir and feel free to adjust thickness with extra water and spices). Add shredded chicken, rice, parsley, stir and serve hot.